Friday, September 11, 2009

"for your age..."


I have slowly started making friends with the wives of Matt's army buddies. The women are very nice and friendly and I feel right at home talking with them. The only thing is that I am a good 15 years older than them. I am the old lady!!! Waaaahhhh. I don't want to be the old lady, I am still cool and hip and I have young kids...okay so maybe they aren't as little as they once were, but I don't want to be seen as the old person.

One day I was swimming with one of the wives, she is 9+ months pregnant and is the epitome of the beautiful pregnant woman. She looks like I only dreamed of looking when I was pregnant, she glows and is all baby belly, nothing extra unlike me when I was pregnant....any way. We were talking about recovering our body after having kids and I made the off handed remark that I needed to lose about 10lbs. Her response to me was, and I will quote her here; "You look great (now if she had stopped there I would be okay)FOR YOUR AGE"!!!!! Waaahhhhh! I look great for an almost 40 year old, boohoo, waaaahhh. I want to cry. What an absolute slam to my ego. I honestly don't sit around worrying about growing older, if I have wrinkles it's because I earned them by laughing so damn much at my kids, and if I have gray hair, I fully blame my husband. I just never, ever though of myself as old as I must seem to these young beautiful wives.

My only consolation is the knowledge that in time they too will eventually "look great for their age." bwaahahahahaha

No comments: