Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bad Signs




I am not a big fan of the Florida school system, but I was always taught that teachers have the hardest job. I was also taught that teachers deserve respect.....hummm. I got a note home yesterday that Connor has a 31% chance of passing 2nd grade! Nice so, basically he has a 69% chance of failing. How do they know this, oh, they gave him a test and he did very poorly on this test so, he's going to fail. Never mind that they aren't teaching him at this school, what it seems like is all they do is test. Then yesterday, they gave him another test and because he didn't follow directions and bubble in all of the answers like the teacher asked, she marked all of his answers wrong, even though his answers were right, he didn't follow directions so they were all wrong and she gave him an "F", along with a "nice" note that says that he didn't follow directions.




I know that I am biased when it comes to my kids. I love them and I think that they are wonderful, so when I get told that my child is stupid, it sets off every single psycho mama bear instinct I have, and I want to rip this teacher a new a$$hole. Connor is an out-of-the-box kind of kid. He looks at things differently, and sees things differently. He's the type of kid who will make a game out of throwing away a piece of paper. He is very creative and adventurous and this school is trying to make him into a drone. I also know that Connor has a short attention span, if he doesn't find something interesting, he doesn't want to do it, and that's bad, but forcing this poor little boy to sit all day in class without recess, and then telling him to take tests all day, and when he doesn't do well basically tell him he's stupid, is a recipe for disaster.




Add to this, when I drive around the area, I see signs like the ones here. This is the school system that is telling me my kid is dumb. This is the type of people the Florida School system churns out.

1 comment:

Jennfactor 10 said...

"Connor has a short attention span, if he doesn't find something interesting, he doesn't want to do it"

That describes second grade boys everywhere. A teacher's job is to engage him anyway. NOT mark all of his correct answers wrong!!!!!